It is yoursAndroid WiFi stuck on retrieving the IP addressscreen? Well, this is an annoying problem that prevents you from connecting to the Wi-Fi network.
Fortunately, there are few solutions available that can successfully get rid of this problem. This article covers all the possible solutions to fix the Android WiFi connection problem getting an IP address.
So check this blog carefully and knowhow to fix wifi stuck on getting ip address on androidtelephone.
What does Cannot get IP address mean??
Well, the problem you have encountered is a serious one that has already been faced by several Android users. Basically, this type of error occurs when you try to connect to an already saved Wi-Fi network or after you try to connect to the new wireless network.
The error you can see is like"Connect…","Obtain IP Address"O“Obtain the IP address from”. It keeps showing such an error and sometimes the error also says“Getting the IP address failed”.
It doesn't matter what error you see on the screen, but all these errors mean the same thing - you can't connect to the internet and as a result you can use most of your applications.
User experience to better understand
When I'm at my desk at work, the wifi won't connect to my phone and I get stuck in the "Get IP address" loop. However, if I walk away from my desk to another part of the building, my phone connects without a problem. I've noticed that if I download a large file elsewhere and go back to my desk, my phone stays connected (albeit at a lower signal, which is fine) until the download is complete, then it goes back to "getting address ". I P". Because I'm a work environment, I can't access one of the routers. Can I force my phone to connect to the router on the other side of the building? Thanks.
Some other notes. I'm using a Oneplus 5. I've tried switching to a static IP, the same IP that works when my phone connects elsewhere in the building, but the phone says "connected, no internet".
As you can see in the above example, there is no doubt that you will not be able to fix this error in the future. Therefore, it is better to be aware of these issues and know why such errors can occur on your phone.
We will seeWhy does wifi keep saying get ip address in android?so that you can get a clear picture of why it is happening and how to fix it.
Why does wifi keep saying it is getting the IP address?
Well, while you encounter the problem, there could be several causes for it. Some of them include:
- bad or bad sign
- Due to a bug in your android phone
- unexpected wireless interference
- Due to changes in wireless security settings on a router
- Several others…
Since you know the common causes, now is the time to knowhow to fix error getting android ip addresswith the best corrections.
How do I fix WiFi stuck on getting an IP address on Android?
Well, now it's time to check out some of the best solutions to the problem you are facing. Obviously, if you go through all of them correctly, you can get out of the error.
|Solution 1: Reconnect to the Wi-Fi network|
|Solution 2 - Disable Network Notification|
|Solution 3: Change the wireless channel|
|Solution 4 - Reboot the router|
|Solution 5 - Use a static IP address|
|Solution 6: Install the Wi-Fi fix app|
|Solution 7 - Reset Network Settings on Android|
|Solution 8 - Try changing your device name|
|Solution 9: Configure WPA2-PSK on your router|
|Solution 10 - Remove obsolete or junk files|
|Solution 11 - Reset your Android phone to default settings|
Solution 1: Reconnect to the Wi-Fi network
The first solution you should tryfix getting ip address problem android wifi connection erroris by reconnecting to the Wi-Fi network. Maybe this solution works for you.
- just go toSettings > Wi-Fi (WLAN)
- To electRode wifiwhat do you use from the list
- Now open your menu option and then click on "Just forgot”
Solution 2 - Disable Network Notification to Fix WiFi Stuck on Getting IP Address on Android
- Go to firstSet > Wi-Fi (WLAN) >SoAdditionallyinstitutions
- Disable now"Scan always available”
Solution 3: Change the wireless channel
As mentioned earlier in the reasons due to sectionunexpected wireless interference, such an error may occur. When a neighboring network tries to interfere with your router's Wi-Fi, you can "Getting the IP address failed”.
So to avoid such a situation, you need to change or use the wireless channelWifi parser-appto select the best wireless channel.
read also:How do I fix "Android launching" followed by "Application optimization..." issue on Android phone?
Solution 4 - Reboot the router
From time to time the router works slow and this can be the cause of such problem getting IP address on wifi router error. In this situation,reboot wifi routerit can fix getting ip address error.
So to reset your router, you can do it by following the steps below:
- Go to firsttplinkwifi.netwhere you need to log into the router's web interface
- go to nowSystem Tools > Restartoption > thenclick restart
- Now wait a minutereboot your router.
After this process, check the Wi-Fi network by connecting to an Android phone and see if the problem still occurs or if it is resolved.
Solution 5 - Use a static IP address
- Go to firstSettings > Wi-Fi (WLAN) > and open Wi-Fi
- view yournetwork name
- Now long press on the Wi-Fi network and check the option named asadvanced settings. Or you can also selectChange Network > IP Settings > Menu > Static
- HereAssign IP addressand change it to any number between 1 and 225
- Don't change anything else and should stay as it is.
- Finally, save all the changes you made and turn on Wi-Fi, try to connect your device.
read also:Solved: Android WiFi Authentication Error [10 Ways](Video) [Fixed] WiFi Stuck on obtaining IP address problem in Android | Failed to obtain IP address [Solved]
Solution 6: Install Wi-Fi Repair App to Fix IP Address Android Connectify Wi-Fi Problem
According to different usersdownload and install the Wi-Fi fix appworked efficiently to resolve"Obtain IP address" affair.
So, you should give this process a try by simply downloading the app fromgoogle play storeand check if the problem is solved.
Solution 7 - Reset Network Settings on Android
There are many apps on your Android phone that adjust settings on the device and also request permission to change system settings. Because of this change, there is a possibility that you may encounter this problem, especially when using itvpn apps for android.
So it is better to disable it for a while and then check if itGet WiFi IP address connection problemproblem is solved or not. Even a network error can stop the Wi-Fi connection so once you have to reset the network settings on the phone.
- Go to firstSettings > Backup and reset
- Now scroll down and findReset network settings
- Click on it and then tap on itreset settings
- Wait for some time to complete the process
- And finally,Cvyour phone
Now try to connect your phone via Wi-Fi and I'm sure you won't run into problems like "Obtain IP address' further.
Solution 8 - Try changing your device name
There may be something wrong with your phone that is preventing the Wi-Fi connection. So you should try to change your device name once and then check if the error occurs again.
just go toSet up Wi-Fi Directjchange the name of your devicename there. You need to change the name as "android_485729” to another word like “one plus 6”
Solution 9: Configure WPA2-PSK on your router
You can configure WPA2-PSK on your router tofix android wifi stuck and get ip address error.
- First, go to the router's web interface.
- Then look for the wireless security page or something similar
- Here you have to chooseWPA2-PSKas security mode
- Then select AES asencryption type
- Now is the timesave settingsORedden
- Soforget wifi networkon your device
- Finally, plug it back in
Solution 10 - Remove obsolete or junk files to fix Wifi Connectify IP address problem
This step is also helpful, but remember this is for rooted devices only.
- You need to download and installES stock misjudgmenton your phone
- Then grant root privileges when prompted
- Now go from the menu toCarrotexplorer
- Then go to/datos/misc/dhcp/
- After this, delete all the files present there.
- Finally, reboot your device and then check if the problem is solved or not
Solution 11 - Reset your Android phone to default settings
If you come across"Wi-Fi hangs trying to get IP addressthen it is also a sign of virus infection. Malware attacks can completely damage your system and cause unknown errors.
So to fix the problem you need to reset your device and this will definitely help you get rid of the problem.
Paso 1: First,Scan android phonewith any anti-malware application
Step 2: Now try to reset your phone but don't forget to backup all your data beforehand as this process will erase all data on the phone.
Step 3: Now go toSettings > Accounts > Backup & reset > Factory data resetor just clickrestart device.
So these are all some of the best ways toSolve Get Wi-Fi Fixed IP Address on Android.
But still, there are some users who report that by doing a factory reset they lost their important files,how to recover them?
You don't need to worry much about it as there are ways to recover lost files from Android phone. With help ofAndroid data recoveryprogram, deleted files are easily recovered. Completely recovers all data astext messages,Photo's,videos,contacts,Call history,Numbers,whatsapp reportsand others.
The software works on all Android brands and operating systemsrecover lost android files after factory reset. So now you don't have to worry about any kind of data loss, justDownload Android Data Recoverysoftware jrecover deleted files from androideasy.
Use:It is recommended to download and use the software on your computerpersonal computerOlaptop. It is because restoring phone data on the phone itself is risky as it may make you lose all your datacancel data.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why does it take so long to get the IP address?
If you're out of your router's connection range, your Android phone may have trouble connecting to a network. Later, the'Obtain Wi-Fi IP addressAn error message appears on your phone screen. In such a situation, it may help to cope with the situation by moving your phone closer to a router.
Can't connect to Wi-Fi and can't get the IP address anymore?
Generally, the Wi-Fi gets stuck getting an IP address error when you try to connect to an already saved Wi-Fi network. Since this is an annoying problem that prevents you from connecting to the Wi-Fi network, it is important to fix it as soon as possible. Try the solutions mentioned earlier in this post to get rid of this error.
How do I resolve the error obtaining an IP address?
You can fix the error getting IP address problem on Android phone by applying the following tips:
- Reconnect to the Wi-Fi network
- Disable network notification
- reboot router
- Use a static IP address
- Set up WPA2-PSK on your router
- Try renaming your device
After reading the blog completely, I hope that you have found the right solutions and when you encounter such a problem on the Wi-Fi network, you will be able to solve it.
Not just one or two, but 11 methods are discussed, so if one fails, the other is still available to help you solve the problem.Android WiFi stuck on retrieving the IP address. Discover the most suitable solution andSolve Wi-Fi Stuck "Obtaining IP Address" on Android.
James escapeHe is a techie and lives in New York. Previously, I worked on Symbian OS and tried to solve many related problems. Since childhood, he was very interested in technology and likes to write blogs about Android and other operating systems. So he kept that up and currently James is working forandroiddata-recovery.comwhere he contributes several articles about Android related errors/problems or data loss situations. It keeps daily updates on news or rumors or what is happening in this new technological world. Besides blogging, she likes to travel, play games and read books.
If your device cannot obtain an IP address automatically, you may try to assign one manually. However, this workaround is temporary as you will need to reconfigure your network settings manually, turn off your Wi-Fi, and restart your phone each time you connect to a different network.How to solve obtaining IP address problem in Android? ›
- Reboot Your Router.
- Turn Airplane Mode On and Back Off to Resolve the Obtain IP Address Error.
- Forget and Reconnect to the Wi-Fi Network.
- Clear the Google Play Services Cache on Android.
- Use a Static IP Address on Your Android Phone.
If your Oculus Quest 2 is having issues obtaining an IP address, this issue is typically related to a problem with the network you are trying to connect to. To solve this issue, we recommend the following: Restarting your router and Oculus. Moving closer to the router to reduce possible interference.How do you fix an IP address problem? ›
- Try restarting your router. ...
- Disable then re-enable your network adapter. ...
- Release and renew your IP address. ...
- Remove static IP and use an automatic IP instead. ...
- Disable IPv6. ...
- Use a VPN to get a different IP address each time.
A Connection Refused (IP Address) error occurs when: You use the wrong IP address in the connection string. Use the database's private IP address in the connection string and try to connect from a Droplet that isn't allowed to access the VPC network.How do I force release an IP address? ›
- Go to "Start > Run" and type " cmd " (no quotes), then select "OK"
- Type " ipconfig /release " (no quotes) and press "Enter"
- Once the prompt returns, type " ipconfig /renew " (no quotes), then hit "Enter,"
- Finally, type " exit " (without quotes) then press "Enter" to close the window.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap your preferred (or active) wireless network.
- Select IP Settings.
- Switch it to Static.
- Keep the IP address, Gateway and Network prefix length the same (should be set from standard DHCP). ...
- Restart your phone (power cycle). ...
- Tap Connections from the Settings screen.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Open Settings;
- Tap Networks & Internet;
- Select a Wi-Fi and long press it;
- Tap Manage network settings;
- Change IP settings from DHCP to Static;
- Enter an unused IP address in the IP address field;
- Tap Save.
- Open the Settings menu on your device and go to “Network & Internet“.
- Select the network you're connected to.
- Tap on the “Reset Network Settings” button. For this example, the icon is located on the upper right section of the screen.
This error code indicates the Nintendo Switch console was unable to obtain an IP address from the network. This error may occur if the router's DHCP server has been disabled, or if the router is not responding correctly.
Because it is a private IPv4 network address, ping tests or any other connection from the internet or other outside networks cannot be routed to it. As a network number, this address is used in routing tables and by routers to share network information with each other.What does it mean wifi has the self assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet? ›
It means it's not getting an IP handed out to it by the Router or Modem. Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ... System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.What causes IP address issues? ›
An IP address conflict happens when two or more devices in a network have the same IP address. This results to one or both of the devices not being able to communicate with the wireless network.What causes IP address failure? ›
Regarding what causes a “Failed to obtain IP address” error, it can be many things, but it is most often caused by an issue with the router. Less often, it will occur due to an issue with the Android device itself (either software or hardware).Can IP address be fixed? ›
When a device is assigned a static IP address, the address does not change. Most devices use dynamic IP addresses, which are assigned by the network when they connect and change over time.How do I fix my IP address on my phone? ›
- Go to your Android Settings.
- Navigate to Wireless & Networks.
- Click on your Wi-Fi network.
- Click Modify Network.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Change the IP address.
- Go to Clarity > Settings > IP blocking, and select the icon to the right of the IP address you want to unblock.
- On the Unblock this IP screen, select Remove.
Service providers can ban or blocklist your IP.
Some online service providers, including social networks, entertainment and gaming sites, block IP addresses to prevent users from certain regions from accessing them.
Your internet provider assigns a public, dynamic IP address to your router or wireless gateway. When you reboot either device, it receives a new IP address from your internet provider.How do I manually enter an IP address for Wi-Fi? ›
- Access the Control Panel. In the Windows search bar, type in “ncpa. ...
- Select the Network Adapter. ...
- Select Properties. ...
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) ...
- Manually enter IP address and subnet mask. ...
- Save Settings. ...
- Revert Back to DHCP.
To access a router, you must know the router's IP address and the administrative user's password and username. To request a connection to the router, enter the IP address in a web browser—http://192.168.1.1, for example. Make sure you're using the correct IP address.How do I find my Wi-Fi IP address on Android without connecting? ›
- Go to Settings → Network & internet on the tablet and select Wi-Fi.
- Tap the name of active network and expand the Advanced section.
- Find the Network details field with the local IP address.
Most Android devices
Go to Settings. Under Wi-Fi, tap your current active Wi-Fi network. Tap Advanced. Your default gateway's IP address will appear under Gateway.
- Select Start > Settings > Network & internet > Wi-Fi and then select the Wi-Fi network you're connected to.
- Under Properties, look for your IP address listed next to IPv4 address.
What is a default gateway address? Your default gateway address will usually be your router's IP address. That's right: your Wi-fi router has its own unique IP tag. This identifying code allows information to reach your network, and it's worth knowing how to find it for yourself.Why is my phone not obtaining IP address? ›
Causes of a "Failed to Obtain IP Address" Android Error
There are many reasons you may see this error on your Android device when you try to connect to a network. The most common source of the error is a router issue. Either your device was intentionally blocked, or the connection problem is due to a router problem.
Enabling Private DNS Mode on Android means your searches and other DNS queries are encrypted and safe from prying eyes. Here's everything else you need to know.What happens if you reset your IP? ›
Keep in mind, changing your IP address will temporarily disrupt whatever internet-connected services or programs you're using on your device. There's no harm done, but it's going to have the same effect as if you'd momentarily lost your Wi-Fi.How do I reset my IP location? ›
- Right-click the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter your admin username and password, if prompted.
- A command prompt window will open. At the flashing cursor, type ipconfig /release. ...
- Type ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address.
- Type exit to exit the command prompt.
IP addresses are allocated to each TCP/IP services address on a TCP/IP Internet. Each address is a unique 32-bit (an IPv4 Internet Address) or a unique 128-bit (an IPv6 Internet Address) quantity defining the host's network and the particular host.
Possible Solutions: Restart the Nintendo Switch console. To restart the console, hold the POWER Button for three seconds, then select "Power Options", followed by "Restart". Ensure your router's wireless security key setting is compatible with Nintendo Switch.Does a network switch get an IP? ›
Network switches can have IP Addresses depending on whether or not they are Layer 3 Switches. In production, if a Switch has an IP Address, it needs to be a static address for the purposes of monitoring and re-configuration.What does IP Route 0.0 0.0 command mean? ›
In IPv4-based routing, 0.0. 0.0 serves as a default route. This means no particular address has been designated in the routing table as the next hop in the packet's path to its final destination. When the default route is used with a subnet mask of 0.0. 0.0, it matches any address.What to do when 192.168 1.1 can't be reached? ›
- Check which network you're connected to - Make sure that you're connected to the right network and that your computer or phone hasn't joined another network by mistake.
- Connect via a cable - If you're using Wi-Fi, try and connect via a cable connection from a computer instead to see if you can.
Private IP Ranges
A private IP address cannot be used to access the Internet and remains only in the local network. Since a private IP address never leaves the LAN, the same private IPs appear on different private networks, and they only have to be unique within that single local network.
A static IP address is manually configured for a device and does not change over time. By default, most devices will use a dynamic IP address, which is assigned by your network (DHCP) and changes over time. However, some environments can be better suited for using a static IP address.What happens when a device set for automatic IP addressing does not receive an IP address? ›
If the device does not receive an IP address, which happens when there is no DHCP server on the network or when the DHCP server is not responding, the device assigns itself an address. Auto IP addresses always follow this pattern: 169.254. x.y, where x and y are any two numbers between 0 and 255.How to bypass IP detection? ›
- #1: Switch out your Media Access Control (MAC) address.
- #2: Change your IP address using a VPN.
- #3: Clear your computer's cache & 'digital residue'
- #4: Uninstall the program or browser.
Automatically obtaining an IP address from a DHCP server such as a router is an easy way to connect your computer to the network. Instead of manually entering the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway, these can be automatically assigned by the DHCP server.How to restart Wi-Fi? ›
- Unplug the power and Ethernet cables from the modem. ...
- Wait 2-3 minutes for the modem to fully power off. ...
- Reconnect the power and Ethernet cables to the modem.
- Wait for the Internet light to turn solid, then check if the internet is working properly.
- Unplug the router and modem's power cords from the power outlet for 15 seconds.
- Plug the power cords back in.
- Check that all cords and cables are secure at both ends.
- Wait a few minutes, until the lights on the modem and router are working right. (See the device manual or manufacturer's support site.)
Adjust your IP address through VPN or Proxies
Another good solution for bypassing an IP ban is simply getting a fresh IP address. One way of doing this is by using a trustworthy proxy or VPN service, which can change your IP address and your apparent internet service provider (ISP).
- Use a Proxy. A proxy is similar to a VPN because it acts as a middleman between the internet and connected device. ...
- Try Tor. ...
- Switch Networks. ...
- Ask the ISP to Change IP Address.
- Unblock websites with VPN. By encrypting your data and hiding your IP address, a VPN lets you bypass Internet restrictions and access geo-blocked content from anywhere in the world. ...
- Use Tor. ...
- Use web proxy or proxy extension. ...
- Use SSH tunnel.
One of the primary jobs of a router is to assign IP addresses to the computers on a home network. The router has a “pool” of IP addresses that it keeps track of. When a computer connects to it and asks for an IP address, the router picks an IP address from the pool and assigns it to the computer.What is failure to obtain IP address? ›
The “Failed to obtain IP address” error can appear any time you connect to a Wi-Fi network. The error means that the router that controls the Wi-Fi network cannot get an IP address from your Android device — which it needs to know for the two devices to be able to communicate with each other.How do I reset my WiFi on my Android? ›
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap System Reset options Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth.
- At the bottom, tap Reset settings.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a feature supplied with many routers. It is designed to make the process of connecting to a secure wireless network from a computer or other device easier.How do I reset my router IP address? ›
- Jot down your IP address.
- Unplug the router for five to ten minutes.
- Plug the router in, wait for the reboot, and check the IP address.
- After rebooting, the IP address should be different.
Restart your device.
Open your Settings app and tap Network & internet or Connections. Depending on your device, these options may be different. Turn Wi-Fi off and mobile data on, and check if there's a difference. If not, turn mobile data off and Wi-Fi on and check again.
A network security key is a form of a physical, digital, signature, or biometric data used to authorize a user to connect with the private network. Essentially, it's a Wi-Fi or wireless network password.